As the weather heats up, this Israeli-style lunch or dinner is a great option to have on your patio – or even as a picnic with friends! For the Shawarma, make your own spice blend out of the following: 1/4 cup ground black pepper, 1/4 cup ground allspice, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 2 tablespoons ground cloves, 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg, 2 tablespoons ground cardamom, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon salt. Try grilling the chicken for another option, or replace with cauliflower baked in the oven at 425 degrees for 18 minutes for a vegetarian-friendly version.
1.5 lbs. chicken breasts (cut into ½ inch cubes)
2 -3 Tbsp. Shawarma Blend
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
10 mushrooms, sliced
Salt to taste
- In a bowl, place cut chicken and sprinkle shawarma blend over chicken until poultry is fully coated with spice blend. Set aside.
- In a pan, add olive oil and sauté onions (and optional mushrooms). Once onions (and mushrooms) are cooked down, remove from pan place in bowl. Set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil to sauté pan, place stove on high heat. Cook chicken ideally getting a nice sear on the outside of chicken and then turn down to slightly lower heat (medium to med-high) and cook chicken all the way through. (Do not cover pan, chicken will get soggy and rubbery.)
- Once chicken is fully cooked, add onions and mushrooms, and mix together. Remove from heat and serve! Shawarma pairs well with roasted potatoes, rice, hummus, cucumber-tomato salad and tahini dressing. Enjoy!
3/4 cup Tahini paste
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp. Sweet Paprika
Hot Water – Start with 1/3 cup to 3/4 cup depending for desired consistency – add more water as you go until you reach your desired consistency. Better to start with less water and add more as you go.
A drizzle of olive oil for garnish
1 pinch of spice on top (Options can include: Paprika, Za’atar, Hummus & Tahini topper)
- Using a food processor minced garlic. If you are using a bowl, mince garlic with knife and place in bowl.
- Add tahini paste, lemon juice, paprika and 1/4 cup hot water to food processor or bowl. Whisk all ingredients together. Add more water as you go until your desired consistency is reached. The more water you add, the thinner the tahini dressing. (The tahini will seize first but the more water you add, will release it and turn it into a sauce or dressing.)
- Place tahini in desired serving bowl and garnish with olive oil and desired spice.
1 Cucumber, English or 4 -5 Persian cucumbers, diced
20-30 cherry tomatoes, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 to a whole of 1 lemon, juiced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of salt
Optional: Add minced parsley & diced avocado.
- Chop all vegetables into small pieces, almost diced and place in bowl.
- Squeeze lemon (half or whole depending on how lemony you like it.)
- Add olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Toss well. Taste and adjust according to taste preferences.