At Beller Nutrition, quinoa is one of the top contenders for powering up our meals with ease — it’s a complete protein, full of fiber, and can be prepared soft and fluffy or firm and crunchy, depending on your mood. This recipe features a delicious healing blend that includes garlic, onion, turmeric, pepper, and parsley. When used together certain spices have synergistic capabilities to boost each other’s powerful nutritional effect. Turmeric’s potential benefits are maximized with black pepper and parsley, which may prevent cancer cell growth and have anti-estrogenic properties; eating more garlic and onion has also been shown to help reduce cancer risk. Isn’t it exciting how something so simple could have this much power?
Immune Support Yellow Quinoa
Makes 2-3 servings
1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
1 yellow, diced
1 tsp Beller Nutrition Vegitude Power Spice Blend
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
1 cup shredded carrots
(*Substitute Rachel Beller Nutrition Blend with a few dashes of organic ground turmeric, pepper, garlic, onion, and parsley)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the Vegitude Power Spice blend. Stir well for about 30 seconds, or until the spices are fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of water and the quinoa to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes — season with salt to taste.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir the parsley, almonds, and shredded carrots (if using) into the quinoa and serve warm or chilled.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Join cancer nutrition expert Rachel Beller, MS, RDN, founder of the Beller Nutritional Institute, in her next exclusive 8-week Transformation Masterclass starting October 22nd for Sharsheret’s Nutrition Coaching for Thrivers program. To apply, visit sharsheret.org/get-involved/sharsheret-in-the-kitchen.
Sharsheret, The Jewish Breast and Ovarian Cancer Community, is offering a free limited-time nutrition coaching program for thrivers who are Los Angeles County residents with a small number of spots for those outside of LA. This program will provide people affected by breast and ovarian cancer tools to make healthy diet choices. Space is limited and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. For questions, please contact Aimee Sax at email@example.com.
This program is generously supported by Cedars-Sinai; The Max & Anna Baran, Ben & Sarah Baran and Milton Baran Endowment Fund of the Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles; and The Cooperative Agreement DP19-1906 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.